DAY 28- Confess your sins to one another (so they can pray for you)

 DAY 28- Confess your sins to one another (so they can pray for you)

James 5:16 “Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. A prayer of a righteous person, when it is brought about, can accomplish much”

James has “stopped preaching and gone to meddling!”...

We don’t like this command much because it infringes on our prideful appearance. 

I can write that I struggle with pride and that is fine because it is sort of a humble brag…might even confess I struggle with self-discipline.  But our propensity to confess diminishes as the sin gets less socially acceptable…We are far less likely to admit we said something in anger to our wife, or watched a movie we should not have, and the probability continues to diminish as we get into affairs, embezzlement, etc.…. These sins we do not confess and probably would even deny.

This is all a product of pride…and God in His humor drove that point home this morning by revealing that a favorite verse of mine “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.”  - Which I often quote to assure myself that my prayer is powerful – is actually the end of this command and is actually about other people praying for me so I can claw my way out of sin if I will only humble myself and ask them to.

I need to learn to confess…not to the whole church but to some comrades – some righteous men who will pray for me – because this verse says that makes things happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY 1 - Be at Peace with one another: